So one day as I took Lil C in to daycare, one of the workers, Gloria, asked me several questions about foster care. Why did we do it, how did we choose our agency, why these kids? Part of my answer was that we spent a lot of time in prayer and God led us to this point.
While I was talking to Gloria, another worker walked in and heard part of our conversation. The next day I came in to drop him off again, the same two women were there taking care of the kids. Gloria and I were making small talk about Lil C when the other woman asked me, out of the blue, "What religion are you?" I have to admit I was a little caught off guard because I had barely said more than "Hello" to her and we weren't talking about church/religion at all.
I told her I was a Christian but that I knew that meant 50 different things to 50 different people. Before I could explain what it meant to me, she said "Me too." I asked her why she asked me and she said she heard me talking about praying about becoming a foster parent the day before.
So I asked her what she meant by her being a Christian. She acted like I just asked her to explain the theory of relativity and said she didn't feel comfortable being on the spot. So I said that I would explain what it meant to me and she could simply agree or disagree as I went. She liked that idea much better...
Before I could start talking, Gloria said that she believed that because she's a good person, she'll go to heaven. The other girl jumped right on that and said "No, the Bible says it doesn't matter how good you are because you can't earn your way to heaven." She then looked at me as if to say "Right?" So I confirmed that and said that if we could earn our way to heaven by being a good person then Jesus died for nothing.
I happened to glance back over at Gloria and she was now intently listening to me and looked like she had no idea what the kids were doing at that point. So I told them that God is perfect and holy and we're sinners. That sin separates us from Him but He loves us so much that He sent His son Jesus to live a perfect life, take on all our sin and die on the cross to cover our sin. That's what the Bible says is the only way to get to heaven and spend eternity with God.
Gloria seemed completely blown away. The other girl was nodding the whole time. At that moment, another parent walked in to drop off their son so the ladies got back to what they were doing and little Joey took the scissors out of his mouth. Kidding.
I then found out that the Christian girl goes to the church where our case worker's husband is one of the pastors. Pretty cool stuff! So please pray for her continued growth, more opportunities to share with Gloria, and Monday's visitation. I begged CPS to change the visitations from Tuesday mornings to any day in the afternoon so Miss S wouldn't miss any school. Our case worker finally had an opening so she'll only miss about 15 minutes instead of more than 2 hours! As always, pray for Denielle and me as we continue to swim haphazardly after sinking a little. Praise God for strength, nap time, and wet wipes!
Friday, April 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment