Monday, April 26, 2010

My Top Ten at Ten

This is my FIRST blog...here it goes. I thought I would share what I have learned so far.
1. This experience is nothing and everything like I thought it would be.
2. Doing black girl hair is hard! My "Rocky" moment did occur...as I sat on the couch and sectioned off her hair and conquered one section at a time; after about an hour I shouted "I did it!". I had successfully combed through all of her hair! I have to say she is a trooper and is for the most part patient and kind with my inability to whip a hair-do up in seconds. At this point I would consider myself a hair twisting pro...cornrows here I come!
3. My husband is an amazing Dad! The two year old will run to Him before me when he gets hurt or needs a hug, it's like you can physically see little C's confidence when Nick is around!
4. My heart can instantly melt when a little girl sings Jesus Loves Me to her brother when he is having a hard time falling asleep.
5. Schedules are best...chores are even better...and quiet time (when everyone takes a nap) is the amazing.
6. Money is a motivator, Miss S is now earning money for her chores. $1 for the Bank, $1 for Jesus, and $2 for anything she wants (apparently a pack of 3 musketeers and a pack of watermelon gum).
7. The phrase "I am proud of you" can instantly make a 7 year old walk taller.
8. I can talk like Juila Child. Miss S and I play cooking show on a regular basis. What's funny is that she will call for a commercial break when she needs to go to the bathroom or talk to her brother. She will also remind me to take a commercial break when I am talking in a regular voice to anyone else besides the "audience".
9. Only on a very brave day will I venture into a restaurant with kids.
10. Costco can be done solo with two kids...with snacks, sippy cups, the costco and credit card in the back pocket, and by doing mach 10 through the lanes. I called my husband when I had made it through to tell him of my victory and he said "you are awesome and can you pick up the printer cartridge at the photo counter?". Of course my response was "I am not a pro yet, there is no way I can reenter the store and besides a two year old melt down is happening in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Maybe this blog thing isn't so bad after all.
-Denielle

1 comment:

  1. WAY TO GO DENIELLE!!!!!! Love #5! I agree 100% #9 and #10 make me smile. The first month or so is the absolute worst. I was absolutely terrified to take my little 1 year old into a restaurant when i first got her because she was a screamer and she literally did NOT know how to sit still. She is go-go-go 100% of the time. But after a couple months she was a pro! I hate the process of teaching them how to properly behave in public places. I dread the looks that say, "lady, you are out of control, look at your kids!" The very first time I went into a store with my first fosterkiddos, 6 and 9, I was shocked when we entered and they both broke into a sprint to head to the back of the store. I was completely shocked and believe me, everywhere we went after that, they were talked to and told the expectations. My first WINCO grocery shopping with them was interesting too. They sell food in bulk and the 6 year old wanted to sample the food. I said no, we don't do that and that it was stealing to eat it and not pay for it. Sure enough the next thing I know she looks at me and quickly sticks her hand into the bin. I was horrified. I got a few looks on that one. I wanted to scream "she's my fosterchild! I just got her and we're still setting boundaries!!!" I learned that day that a six year old in the cart because she couldn't behave does not allow for putting groceries in the cart! Oh, the things we learn. Too bad, some have to be learned in public. AGH!! Way to go. I'm enjoying following your blog! Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete