Saturday, August 7, 2010

Long lost blog

Remember me? I haven't forgotten about you, though I wouldn't blame you if you thought I had. Here's the deal. On a daily basis I find myself thinking "This would be good to write about." The problem is that I tend to focus on the negative but I don't want to. I also don't want to WRITE about just the negative.

Here are some positives. Miss S is getting much better at maintaining eye contact when being taught and/or disciplined. She hasn't gotten into any fights at daycare in a few weeks. She's getting better at not cheating during games. She's staying in her chair during meals and not using her clothes as a napkin.

As for Lil C: he's still pretty chill. He's learning a lot. He's getting better at enunciating words. He's not throwing a fit when we put him down for a nap or bedtime. He almost always obeys on the first command. Since we've gotten his breathing treatments down, he's sleeping through the night.

Now some not-so positives. Lil C: I don't really have much here. Every once in a while, he still throws a fit when he's cranky and we make him go to bed or he can't do something his sister is doing. No biggie.

Miss S, on the other hand, has been a huge challenge for me. We don't have good days and bad days. We have good hours and bad hours. Things change so quickly with her.

Here's a little disclaimer. A good friend of Denielle's and mine told me a few weeks ago that she really likes reading this blog because it's real and because I'm not afraid to say how I feel. That may be because these kids aren't mine. Other mothers and fathers probably wouldn't feel comfortable saying that they're beyond frustrated with their kids. So I'm going to be very real here. When people bring up the possibility of adoption, I think I could definitely make it work with Lil C. Miss S would be a God thing. She would test me every day until she's 18. I would have to think and pray long and hard about adopting her.

It just kills me that she's so sweet and lovable one minute (literally one minute) and then the next, she's manipulative, challenging, arguing, testing, disobeying and out of control. She will look me in the eye and lie about what she just did or said so she doesn't get in trouble. I've told her a million times that the trouble she would get in for doing something wrong is about 1/10th of what her trouble will be for lying about it. AND YET SHE STILL DOES IT! Quite frankly, there are times when it pisses me off and I have to just walk away. Other times, I just sit with her as she pouts or cries and I can't say anything because I don't know what else TO say. She's a very smart little girl who can't figure out that lying will get her nowhere in this family.

That's all I've got for now. I hope you're still with me. I promise to write more within the next day or two. Above all else, thank you for your continued prayers for our family. I know I desperately need them.

1 comment:

  1. Phil and I continue to pray for you and Denielle. My only thought when reading today's blog is that Miss S has 7+ years of living in an environment where lying DID work to her advantage. She's only been with you and Denielle for 4 months. That's like a summer break from lying. I guess what I'm trying to say is that she probably needs more time to realize that being truthful will serve her better with you two. Would it help to keep track of the times she's truthful more than the times she lies? It might help you see growth in that part of her life more easily. It seems to fit in with your desire to look at things from a positive perspective.
    Lil C wasn't corrupted as long so I'd expect him to have a shorter recovery period.
    Autumn

    ReplyDelete