Just like the old Aerosmith song, I'm going through some changes. Today, it worked out for the best. I took the kids to our favorite water park in downtown Gilbert under the water tower. We played and got soaked and they picked them up and held them under the fountains (not actually under water, mind you). We were having a great time.
Then Miss S decided to ask a question about an issue we had previously discussed. She has been earning stickers to reward positive behaviors. Once she got to a certain point, we told her we'd take her to see Toy Story 3. She earned the final sticker last night and was very excited. We even got online and found the showtimes for the weekend. I told her that our week was full but that we could go sometime this weekend. She agreed.
So today, when she ran through the fountains and then came up to me, I was surprised to hear her ask if we could go see it tonight. I said no and then asked her what we had talked about. She said that we were going to go this weekend. I said "Yes. So we can't go tonight can we? What's happening tonight?" She just put her head down, curled down her bottom lip and pouted. I basically told her there was no reason to pout and that we could still have fun in the water and see the movie this weekend. That wasn't good enough. I told her if she didn't fix her attitude, we were going to leave. I counted silently to 10 and then said "OK, we're leaving." She unleashed some serious balling while I got Lil C ready to go. I got him in the truck, picked up her clothes and put them in the truck, and then went and told her to pick up her towel and get in.
She cried and stomped all the way to the truck but by the time we got home (about 10 mins), she was pretty good. Ignoring her bad attitude/behavior seemed to work. A week ago, I would've been all over her, explaining everything to her and hovering while she got her stuff ready and even dragged her over to the truck.
We got home, had dinner, and had a pretty good night until our company showed up. Then we had a great night with them too. Hopefully I can keep this going...Thank you Jesus!
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment