One of the beautiful things about marriage is that the husband and wife usually have a few strengths that are not shared. Like Rocky said "I got gaps. You got gaps. Together we got no gaps." Well said, Rocky. Well said.
Denielle is like MacGyver. She can look in a pantry with nothing (to me) in it and make a wonderful meal. She can also see a jumbled mess of anything and have it organized in seconds. Then there are the times when she takes 5 kids using floaties in a pool and starts up a swimming lesson.
So what do I bring to the table? I can name the 3-deep roster for the 1995 Nebraska Huskers football team. And the hometown for most of them... I can also put D-Man down for his nap or for bed without so much as a whimper from him.
So D-Man came to us on Wednesday night. That night she put him down with a few cries but nothing major. Thursday, she handled it as well because he was used to her. For nap time, he put up a fight but only for a few minutes. At bed time, he cried a little bit. Friday I went to work so I wasn't around for his nap time and barely made it home for his bed time. Up to that point, I had basically avoided the issue.
I can't quite remember when I started putting him down, but he has never made a peep when I've put him down. Last night, I got home from work about 5 minutes before he had to go to bed. I decided to put him down, partly because I hadn't seen him all day and partly because I wanted to see if it would work again and save Denielle the hassle.
I picked him up out of her lap for story time, put his blankey over him, and took him into his room. I turned off the lights and started humming Jesus Loves Me and Jesus Loves the Little Children. I hummed them both about 3 times and then put him in his crib. I waited...and waited...and waited. Nothing. So I closed the door and turned around. That's when I heard it.
"You make me sick." I just smiled. I told her I had no idea why it worked but we should both just be thankful that it does work. For the record, she is very thankful. But it is pretty interesting. I'm thinking it has something to do with my voice being deeper than her's.
Either way, I'm OK with making her sick about this. Now, I just need to teach her about starting lineups.
Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
seriously. I'm reading this post and weeping. I love it. I love that you sing him Jesus loves me and Jesus loves the little children. I love the words and spirit that is being sung over this young one's life. May they be there eternally and magnify with every thing that the devil tries to steal.
ReplyDeleteI love that a while ago this child was surviving with what little he had; mentally, spiritually, physically and emotionally. now with all of those basic needs being in place, he probably feels so safe.
love.