Monday, April 16, 2012

Now that's putting your money where your mouth is...

I was at work last Friday, working on one of my patients. As I was stretching him, he asked about my family life. I told him about Denielle and me being married for over 10 years now and he asked about kids. I told him about foster care and he perked up.

He asked "You guys do foster care?" I confirmed it and said we just taken in a little boy Wednesday night. He asked if our church was involved (eventhough I never mentioned church to him) and I told him we heard about the agency through our church but that we didn't get the boy through our church.

He rested his head back down and softly said "Now that's putting your money where your mouth is."

In the past couple years of doing this, I've heard plenty of compliments and comments about how awesome it is that we're doing this and "boy, we wish there were more people like you" and things like that. The thing for me is that as soon as I hear a compliment like that, my mind immediately goes to my sin. I think about how selfish I was that I couldn't just watch a little TV last night and how I have to watch a little kid walking/running around the house or yard instead of just relaxing with my dog.

I also think about those sins that I commit mentally but not physically. Those sins that nobody else knows about. And then I wonder how different I really am from those people ready to knight me because I'm a foster dad. Actually, I don't wonder at all. And as I watch D-Man run around, I realize how desperately he needs a Savior just like I did. I realize how the only difference between me and a nonbeliever is that God opened my eyes to see my sin for what it is and allowed me to understand my depravity. Then I wonder if God will choose to save D-Man, or any more of my patients.

Yeah, I got all that out of my patient's comment. God works in mysterious ways.

1 comment: