Sunday, January 15, 2012

"Slice in Time"

I used to work for a company who's CEO liked to give updates by talking about a slice in time. I quickly figured out it was his way of taking no blame for what's going wrong and all the credit for what's going right.

I have since found an appreciation for that comment when it comes from someone with pure motives and a good heart. So I can now say that at this slice in time, things don't look near as promising as they once did. And I need to clarify a statement I made in the previous post.

When I said "So we've been praying and talking to several contacts within the adoption/foster care world and trying to figure out what to do.", what I meant was that we're trying to figure out IF we should pursue this adoption, just as much as WHAT we should do, IF we did it.

My previous post was also based on an email I got from the 17-yr old's mother that read simply "We loved meeting you both. (Daughter's name) has decided she wants you to adopt her baby." I came away from that thinking there was about a 90% chance we were going to NM to get this little boy.

Last Tuesday we ended up being a part of an impromptu conference call between the mother, her pregnant daughter, and their adoption agency. The jist of it is that the daughter has decided to give us her baby IF she decides to give him up. She wants to be discharged from the hospital and take him home to try parenting for an undetermined amount of time.

Denielle and I are still working through our thoughts and decisions about this, but I will tell you that their adoption agent was very apologetic about the circumstances and has since offered her support to us as well. She knows it's a screwed up situation and is trying to get the young woman to decide very quickly.

I'll give you more info as I get it. Right now, I'm thinking our chances are pretty slim to get this little boy. That would mean we'd pursue foster care and fertility options again.

No comments:

Post a Comment