I know I do. So I feel good about asking Him for a miracle. I haven't written the past week because I've been feeling overwhelmed. Even without taking into account all my school work, there's just been a ton of crap to do with regarding the kids.
Long story short, Miss S has very little chance of getting what she needs from her mom. It's pretty simple: Affection, Attention, Approval. That's it. No new toys, clothes, out to eat, etc. Just her time and presence. Unfortunately, that's not her strong suit.
She wasn't able to make it to the visit last Monday so I set up skype with her and Miss S. I had to update her on what Miss S had done at school that day...not a good day. Mom decided to spend the first 5 minutes telling Miss S the same thing over and over. She looked deflated. Then they talked for a few minutes before Miss S decided to read a book to her mom. I looked at the screen a couple times and saw her mom watching something off camera and laughing. I could also tell that there was a TV or radio or something on at her house because of all the noise coming through our speakers.
Then there was today. Miss S's school had a Thanksgiving Lunch where parents could come in and eat lunch with their kids. Mom got off work to be able to go, which was awesome. I got a text at 10:45 asking what time lunch was at. I had already told her it was 11:15 but I just sent it again. At 11:20, I got a text from her that said she forgot about a doctor's appointment and she couldn't make it.
I didn't know what to do. I had a ton of homework to do for tomorrow, but I knew she'd be crushed if her mom didn't show. I called Denielle and asked her what she thought. We basically decided to let it go because by the time I'd get there, it would be almost over anyway and this is what Miss S's life is going to be like with her mom. So I called the school and told them. Then I waited. I waited to pick her up from school. When I picked her up, I asked her teacher how the day was. Not good. Understandable but still not OK.
I didn't want to push her into talking about it, but she decided to bring it up on the way home. She asked why her mom didn't show up. After I told her, she said that her mom promised her Wednesday that she'd be there today. Then she started to cry. That's putting it mildly. She cried for a good 10 minutes before we got to daycare to pick up Lil C.
I have to say that I was pissed. She was so excited to hear that her mom was coming to see her for lunch. So excited. Then to get the news that she wasn't coming, and at the last minute...
Miss S has her last day of gymnastics tomorrow afternoon. Mom is supposed to come. What am I supposed to say to her? How am I supposed to act? I want to give her a piece of my mind. I want to tell her that her daughter was crushed because she felt a doctor's appointment was more important than lunch with her daughter. I want to ask her what the hell she's thinking.
What I'll probably do is tell her that, yes, her daughter was very disappointed but she was able to enjoy lunch with the other parents who were there with their kids. I'll tell her that, yes, she had a hard day at school after that and that her behavior wasn't the greatest. But I'll also tell her that I completely understood why it was that way and that I told Miss S that it's still not OK to act that way.
Or maybe the Spirit will lead me in a different direction. I mean, really, is there a handbook for this? All I know is that my heart needs to be in the right spot and the Bible is the only handbook I need for that.
Thursday, November 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment