Thursday, September 23, 2010

Firestarter

One thing D and I like to do in the summertime is to use our grill to cook dinner instead of heating up the house with the oven when the air conditioner is already working overtime. The things you learn to do when it's 110 outside...

Anyway, Lil C and Miss S have always liked being out there to watch me get the grill ready and then light it up. One day last week I was feeling pretty chairitable and asked Miss S if she wanted to help me with it. She got excited and said yes. So we went out and I showed her how to clean off the grill and then pour charcoal and stack it up. Then I asked her if she wanted to light it. She nervously smiled and said yes. After giving her a thorough explanation of what was going to happen, we did a dry run so she knew exactly what I was going to do and exactly what she was expected to do.

I showed her how to turn on the fire starter and then grabbed the lighter fluid. I poured it all over the coals and then pulled her in closer to the grill. She held the fire starter in her right hand and I put my hand over the top of her's to help her turn it on. We then went to a couple different spots on the coals to light 'em up. She's just tall enough to where she can see over the edge of the grill to the bottom of the coals so she was able to see everything that was going on.

When it was all lit, I backed away and pulled her with me. The fire was about a foot above the edge of the grill and I bent down and asked her if she liked it. She got a huge smile on her face and nodded. What a pyro...

Of course the next thing for her to do was to alert the world as to what she had just accomplished. She ran inside and told Denielle and Lil C. D looked at me like "Is that true? Please tell me you were there." I smiled and nodded. Lil C looked at her like "So what; I'm wearing your flip flops!" She didn't care. She was still holding the fire starter and loving what she just did.

No comments:

Post a Comment